Courses offered for the PhD
Introduction to probability theory and data treatment (Prof. Adriano Filipponi)
- One dimensional random variables, probability densities and characteristic functions.
- Weak convergence of sequences of random variables.
- The law of large numbers and the central limit theorem.
- Examples and applications where the requirements for the central limit theorem are not satisfied: Log-normal, Lorentzian and non homogeneous
- Multi-dimensional random variables, marginal distributions and correlation.
- The multi-dimensional Gauss distribution.
- Bayes’ theorem and Bayesian approaches.
- Prior parameter distribution, likelihood function and normalization.
- Elementary and non-elementary examples of Bayesian parameter estimates.
- Theleast-square empirical procedures as a special case of the Bayesian formalism.
- Computational approaches to random number generation.
The theory of Synchrotron Radiation and applied aspects (Prof. Adriano Filipponi)
The radiation field generated by an accelerated charge: Maxwell equations, Green’s function approach for the potential fields equations and retarded potentials (LienardWiechert), calculation of the electric and magnetic fields, decomposition in the charge and radiation field, Poynting vector, source characteristics in the classical and relativistic limits. The energy loss of an accelerated charge and the implications for circular and linear particle accelerators. Synchrotron radiation and its relevance for particle physics, condensed matter physics and astrophysics.
Asymmetric organocatalysis (Prof. Armando Carlone)
- Introduction to organocatalysis - birth, history, first steps
- Various types of organocatalysts and activations
- Catalysis via enamine
- Catalysis via iminium ion
- Stereoselective activation/control via hydrogen bonding and steric encumbrance.
- Primary amines to activate ketones.
- Enamine/iminium ion catalytic cycle - similarities and domino reactions phosphoric acids, ACDC
- Tertiary amines and PTCs
- Thioureas - bifunctional
- Industrial synthesis examples: letermovir, TV-4507
Host-guest systems (Prof. Luisa Giansanti)
- Podandi, ether corona, ether lariati, corandi, sferandi
- Host of hard and soft species
- Host of anionic species
- Calixarene and dextrin cycle
- Zeolites, clathrates and cocrystals
- Coordination polymers
Photocatalysis (Prof. Andrea Baschieri)
- Luminescent materials
- Phosphorescence - Fluorescence (quantum yields, lifetimes, quenching)
- Crystalline field theory - theory of molecular orbitals
- Iridium-based complexes (synthesis and emission color modulation)
- Solid-state luminescent devices
- Introduction to photocatalysis - birth, history, first steps
- Photo-catalysts (adsorption, oxidizing/reducing properties of the excited state)
- Photocatalysis in combination with other types of catalysis
- Photochemistry of enamines and imine ion
Safety standards for synthetic and industrial chemists (Prof. Armando Carlone)
- Safety Standards
- Risk assessment
- Solvent classification
- Compilation of a laboratory experiment
Patents, literature and bibliographic resources (Prof. Armando Carlone)
- How to apply
- What a patent protects
- How to read a patent
- How to find the experimental part
- Process for a patent
- How to search for a patent
- Generalities of chemical literature
- Full papers, letters, reviews
- How to publish an article
- Where to find the experimental part
- Citations, H-index, Impact Factor
- How to use databases for research